Hello Everyone,

I trust that you are all well and are working hard on developing your games.

Our trip leading into the US Open has been successful and eventful after just week one. I arrived on Thursday just in time for quarter finals day at Aptos, California. After a 19 hour Journey to the tournament site Marinko and I (Marc Kimmich) went straight out on court to do a session. Marinko was striking the ball quite well and eager to get on for his match and compete. He definitely competed and came out on top after a tough 64 64 win over Stadler. After his match we went straight back on court to work on some things and we also started putting together a  game plan for his semi-final match against Carsten Ball. After 30minutes we decided to pack up shop and hit the gym for another 30minutes or so before we headed back to the housing we had (10meters from the beach) in Aptos with Ed and his son Evan.

After a good nights sleep we woke up and had breakfast on the balcony over looking the beach. A perfect relaxing morning in preperation for Marinko’s semi-final. When 10am hit it was go time and Marinko was playing fellow Australian Carsten Ball. It was a fast paced match with big serves setting the tempo for the match right from the word go. Once again Marinko battled out a tough 64 64 to lead into his 3rd challenger final.

We woke up early on finals day after having little sleep due to some noises around the apartment. Marinko was on edge and his mind was all over the place. We arrived the courts after a rushed morning to find out Marinko had left some of his equipment behind which he needed for his match. After an attempted warm up (2minutes) we decided it would be best if I went back to get his equipment rather then warm up. I got back 2minutes before his match with his equipment and Marinko went straight out on court. Marinko was still on edge and very unsteady in his mind. He fought got down an early break 2-4 before his mind kicked in. From there it was time for Mr Marinko Matosevic to put his game face on. He rattled off 6 consecutive games and continued his running form to take out his first ATP challenger titled winning the match 6-4 6-2 against Donald Young.

After a quick celebration we headed off to Lexington, Kentucky. Dayne Kelly had already lost in qualifying and Marinko was very tired after his Aptos performance. Match day arrived the next day for Marinko and he woke up rather sick. He attempted to play his match and fought a tough battle but struggled to pull out a win. We are now in Los Angeles and his recovery has been good and both there training has been solid. We look forward to another successful week and I will report back to you all soon. Feel free to leave comments guys and I will do my best to get back to you all in a timely fashion. Bye for now.

Written By Marc Kimmich (Director & Head Coach of Pure Tennis Academy)